2021 Single Cask #5: St. George Spirits California Single Malt Whiskey
We expect this will ship in time for the holidays but due to COVID related shipping delays, we cannot guarantee any specific timing.
St. George Spirits was one of the first American distilleries either of us fell in love with, long before we started Lost Lantern. Located in Alameda, California, St. George has been a trailblazer since its founding in 1982. It is known as the country’s first craft distillery, and it has laid the groundwork for all the thousands that have followed in its footsteps: a deep commitment to experimentation, innovation, quality and precision, fresh and flavorful local ingredients, and above all else to trying new things.
One of those new things was American single malt. When St. George released its first single malt whiskey in 2000, the worldwide boom in single malt hadn’t even started yet. They were blazing a new trail. More than twenty years later, they still do.
Although this is a single malt whiskey, we chose to bottle this not under our normal brown label for single malt but under our cream label, for “Other Whiskies.” That’s because its flavor profile is distinct and unusual because it was distilled from beer. It’s quite different from most American single malt, and we want you to know that going in.
Aged for 3 years in a 228-liter cask with a medium toast and toasted heads, this single cask is perhaps the freshest and grassiest whiskey we’ve ever tried. Not to wax rhapsodical, but sipping this whiskey reminds us of enjoying crème brûlée in a high alpine meadow. If you’ve never done that, here’s your chance to see what it would be like.
It is truly our privilege to be able to offer this single cask of St. George’s single malt at natural cask strength. Complex and deeply nuanced, it is one-of-a-kind.
Proof: Natural cask strength, 107.3 proof
Quantity Produced: 250 bottles
Age: 3 years old
Mashbill: 100% malted barley
Barrel Details: 228-liter cask, Tonnellerie O cooperage, medium toast, toasted heads
Barrel Entry Proof: 105
Distillery Location: Alameda, California
Details: Non-chill-filtered, no color added
PRE-SALE STARTING ON OCT 15TH! Bottle shipment TBD — we expect this will ship in time for the holidays but due to COVID related shipping delays, we cannot guarantee any specific timing.
*PLEASE READ BEFORE BUYING*
- The estimated shipping time for alcohol orders is 3-15 business days. Orders will be fulfilled and shipped within 2-5 business days after the order is placed, unless one of the conditions below applies.
- Unfortunately, we cannot deliver to any PO Box addresses or the states of Alaska, Arkansas, Hawaii, Kansas, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, Utah, Vermont, West Virginia and Wyoming. You will not be able to complete your purchase if you are in one of those states. If you complete an alcohol purchase with a PO Box address, you will be contacted to give us a different address to ship to.
- Someone 21 years of age or older MUST be available to sign for any alcohol orders. Packages containing alcohol will not be left on doorsteps and delivery will be attempted 3 times total. We strongly recommend ordering to your place of work if you are typically not home throughout the day.
- WE CAN NOT Ship to a FedEx or Walgreens as they will not accept packages from other local carriers.
- We DO NOT offer refunds if your alcohol order is returned to us. We feel that 3 attempted deliveries is ample opportunity to take delivery. We are charged an additional $20 for all returned packages that are not delivered after 3 attempts and another $20 if we want to attempt delivery again, so we can not offer refunds on account of this unless you are willing to pay the extra $40 worth of charges. We will of course offer refunds or replacements for any products that are damaged or below satisfaction.